Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Linuxslate.com Forums

<=== Back to the Linuxslate.com Homepage

Newest Forum Posts

Oct 25th, 2021, 11:17am
News: Welcome to the linuxslate.com forums. May 2020: Forum registration has been disabled due to recent advancements in bypassing captcha's and the resulting increase in spam on the forums. Registration may be re-enabled at a later date. In the meantime, if you would like to register, please email "john" at this domain, and I will manually create an account for you. Registration is for legitimate and relevant discussion only. Misused accounts will be deleted without warning.

Pages: 1
Mobile Phone USB tethering (Read 7503 times)
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Mobile Phone USB tethering
Jul 10th, 2008, 9:06pm

Wired (USB) Connection to a Mobile Phone

This test was done using a Motorola A780 phone.  What follows should be similar for most phones that will act as USB modems.

Note: Make sure the phone is properly configured to access the internet on its own first.

Phone: Make sure the USB port is Modem mode: Setup >> USB Mode >> Modem

B1L: We need to edit 2 files.  Note that at least the first of these 2 is specific to the Motorola Linux based phones (E680i,  A780, A1200, etc.). Omit this step if using most other phones.

Open /etc/ppp/options in your favorite text editor. Add the following to the end of the file:

:192.168.0.254
(That's a colon at the beginning - Don't forget it.)

The second change is in  /etc/chatscrips/ppp0.  Comment out or delete the line that looks like:
"" "AT&F0M0"

(I am not even sure why that is even in there.)

B1L: Network Manager >> Manual Configuration >> Modem Connection >> Properties.  Enter the following:  (Example is for the New AT&T, North America)
General Tab
Phone Number: *99***1#
Dial Prefix: <leave blank>
Username:  WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
Modem Tab
Modem Port:  /dev/ttyACM0    (You'll have to type this, it's not in the pull-down)
Dial type:Tones
Volume: Off
Options Tab
Set all 3 options ON

That's it.
Trouble Shooting :
Did /dev/ttyACM0 get created when you plugged in your phone?

Look for problems as the connection comes up:
tail -f /var/log/messages

Check for a ppp0 entry in ifconfig.  Is there a valid IP address?
ifconfig

Mobile Linux ?
Got That!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1