Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Linuxslate.com Forums

<=== Back to the Linuxslate.com Homepage

May 20th, 2019, 3:55pm
News: Welcome to the linuxslate.com forums. 16 Janruary 2015: Forum registration has been disabled due to recent advancements in bypassing captcha's and the resulting increase in spam on the forums. Registration will be re-enabled at a later date. In the meantime, if you need to register, or have relevant information, please email "john" at this domain, or request an account using the linuxslate.com Google+ Page: https://plus.google.com/+Linuxslate/

Pages: 1
Gentouch78 (Read 10031 times)
torp74
Thinks a tablet is something you take for a headache

Linuxslate.com
Forums

Gentouch78
Dec 4th, 2010, 11:21pm

I'm really liking the gentouch78. Sure, it's no Ipad, but hey it cost me $129. The only problem I'm having is getting a wifi connection with my tethered Droid. I understand it has something to with the ad-hoc connection. Anyway for the price it is an excellent multimedia machine and book reader. My battery power has been better than advertised, have been getting nearly 4.5 hours of continuous use from a single charge.

IP Logged
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Re: Gentouch78
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2010, 9:44pm

Thanks for posting.

The reason you cannot tether may be due to the wpa_supplicant file.  This has been discussed on the forums for other tablets, including the Viewsonic G-Tablet I'm using now. (See review on main site.)

It seems that the wpa_supplicant files provided with Android do not permit connecting to adhoc networks.

You should be able to pull a corrected wpa_supplicant from one of the fixed firmwares, even if it is not an Augen Gentouch FW or even Android 2.1

No promises, since I no longer use my Gentouch, but if I think of it, and have time, I'll pull the file from a G-Tablet fw that supports adhoc, and put it in the Augen. I'll post again if it works.

Mobile Linux ?
Got That:
Z1 Android Watch Phone, Huawei Honor 2, Nexus 7 (2013), MUCH G2.
WWW   IP Logged
mhoyt77
Thinks a tablet is something you take for a headache

Linuxslate.com
Forums

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2011, 4:59pm

I'm interested. can i get a copy of the files? also, how do i "install" them onto the gt78?

IP Logged
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2011, 11:08am

OK, could someone please try this...

Warnings:
Messing up your wpa_suplicant.conf file will result in a device that can no longer connect to the network.

Root access and operations as root are required.  There is a possibility of rendering the device un-bootable, and thus unusable.  

Assumptions:  
1) We are Attempting to get an Augen Gentouch 78 online via a MiFi or similar "Portable hotspot" or a mobile phone in mobile hotspot mode.

2) The MiFi's network name is "my_mifi"  (use your actual network name in everything below).

3) You have access to the Gentouch via ADB.  (One-time configureation), and root access on the Gentouch.

Do:
On the Gentouch attempt to find the Access Point (AP) in Wi-Fi Settings.

If you see it, but cannot connect, try this.

Connect via adb.

Find the file /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

copy it to the host PC for editing.

Look for an entry for your MiFi or ad-hoc network.  it will look something like:

Code:

network={
	ssid="my_mifi"
	key_mgmt=NONE
	auth_alg=OPEN SHARED
	wep_key0=<key>
	priority=<some number here>
}

If you do not have an entry for the mobile AP, you can try creating one after the rest of the entries.  Start by cofpying the relevant section from a regular WiFi AP that you have successfully connected to in the past.  Use an unique and higher-numbered value for the priority value (i.e. 99).

add this to the specific entry:

mode=1

add the following to the top of the file _after_ the other initial lines (i.e. not in any specific network entry)

ap_scan=2

Save the file, and move it back to the Gentouch (obviously in the same location).  Make sure the permissions and ownership remain correct:  -rw-rw---- system   wifi      or possibily       -rw-rw---- wifi   wifi

Try connecting to your Mobile AP again.

Credit:  User collindv from Slatedroid:
http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=5345.msg43689#msg43689

If this does not work, someone with the ability to make a wpa_supplicant binary (not just the .conf file) would have to build us one.

Mobile Linux ?
Got That:
Z1 Android Watch Phone, Huawei Honor 2, Nexus 7 (2013), MUCH G2.
WWW   IP Logged
fanlynne
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2011, 12:56am

Quote from mhoyt77 on Jan 14th, 2011, 4:59pm:
I'm interested. can i get a copy of the files? also, how do i "install" them onto the gt78?

Yeah,mhoyt77,those are what i want to know

IP Logged
Pages: 1