Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Linuxslate.com Forums

<=== Back to the Linuxslate.com Homepage

Jul 16th, 2019, 11:26pm
News: Welcome to the linuxslate.com forums. 16 Janruary 2015: Forum registration has been disabled due to recent advancements in bypassing captcha's and the resulting increase in spam on the forums. Registration will be re-enabled at a later date. In the meantime, if you need to register, or have relevant information, please email "john" at this domain, or request an account using the linuxslate.com Google+ Page: https://plus.google.com/+Linuxslate/

Pages: 1
Z1 Poor Sound quality (Read 4147 times)
zarneewoop
Thinks a tablet is something you take for a headache

Linuxslate.com
Forums

Z1 Poor Sound quality
Aug 31st, 2012, 5:41pm

Hi,
 My biggest disappointment with the Z1 was the music sound quality, even high bitrate stuff suffers from dreadful digital noise... well it did on the included bluetooth headset, a blue ultimate, Gear4's, a seal thing off the shopping channel which all sound fairly ok on all my other devices.

If you share the opinion make sure you select any effect but 3d Surround and treat your ears to a Sony Ericsson MW-600 and its like night and day, its sooooo different. Crystal... As they say

Now its not all good news, its not so different for no reason and without a few drawbacks.
Firstly most of the features don't work, the track skip, next, previous etc.. all don't work, there is no display of track info, or contact name just phone number on the MW-600's screen. But the call button and device switching seems to work fine.
 Secondly I can only assume it requests a different mode from the phone (SBC codec vs MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AAC, or ATRAC) as it seems to use A LOT more CPU (though it could be another issue) making songs stutter slightly at the start and this gets slightly worse with bitrate.
  But if sound quality is your main concern its well worth the 25quid and you get a half decent set of headphones with a nice short wire included.

If there isn't enough volume, as few devices do these days, grab yourself a little headphone amp like the FiiO E5, cheap n cheerful and will kick your eardrum upside your head  (DON'T DO THIS AT HOME)  Smiley

There must be a workaround in software to up the quality, I remember on old windows mobile 5 and 6 devices you could tweak some settings to change the way stereo bluetooth was handled and ramp the quality at the expense of CPU and bluetooth bandwidth. I sofar have failed to find a solution relating to other devices, Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

IP Logged
abykingz
Thinks a tablet is something you take for a headache

abykingz

Re: Z1 Poor Sound quality
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2012, 3:30am

i think many things that z1 needs to improve...Quote from zarneewoop on Aug 31st, 2012, 5:41pm:
Hi,
My biggest disappointment with the Z1 was the music sound quality, even high bitrate stuff suffers from dreadful digital noise... well it did on the included bluetooth headset, a blue ultimate, Gear4's, a seal thing off the shopping channel which all sound fairly ok on all my other devices.

If you share the opinion make sure you select any effect but 3d Surround and treat your ears to a Sony Ericsson MW-600 and its like night and day, its sooooo different. Crystal... As they say

Now its not all good news, its not so different for no reason and without a few drawbacks.
Firstly most of the features don't work, the track skip, next, previous etc.. all don't work, there is no display of track info, or contact name just phone number on the MW-600's screen. But the call button and device switching seems to work fine.
Secondly I can only assume it requests a different mode from the phone (SBC codec vs MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AAC, or ATRAC) as it seems to use A LOT more CPU (though it could be another issue) making songs stutter slightly at the start and this gets slightly worse with bitrate.
 But if sound quality is your main concern its well worth the 25quid and you get a half decent set of headphones with a nice short wire included.

If there isn't enough volume, as few devices do these days, grab yourself a little headphone amp like the FiiO E5, cheap n cheerful and will kick your eardrum upside your head  (DON'T DO THIS AT HOME)  Smiley

There must be a workaround in software to up the quality, I remember on old windows mobile 5 and 6 devices you could tweak some settings to change the way stereo bluetooth was handled and ramp the quality at the expense of CPU and bluetooth bandwidth. I sofar have failed to find a solution relating to other devices, Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

sharewatchphone tech
abykingz   IP Logged
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Re: Z1 Poor Sound quality
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2012, 12:32pm

zarneewoop;

You are correct.  The sound seems poor in most BT devices.

I had written that the sound was only poor while using the BT device that came with the Z1.

After reading your post last night, I tried an experiment.

I played the same songs (identical MP3 files) on My watch, and on my Viewsonic G-Tablet.

Both were paired to my Phillips BTM-630 Bluetooth clock radio.

The Z1 did not sound too bad, but there was definite distortion on certain peaks.  This distortion was not present when playing via the Tablet.

I will revise my review to mention this.

I will say the control of the Z1 via the Clock radio's remote (AVRCP) did work fine.

It seems that the better the BT device is, the less of this distortion occurs, but that it is always present.

I am not sure how this can be.  Perhaps the 2 devices negotiate a protocol, communications bit rate and or number of bits/word.  I don't know that much about the BT A2DP.  The Z1 may just not be up to simultaneously decoding the MP3, and encoding into the format for transmission over BT.

Paragraph from Wikipedia :
Quote:
A2DP... ....It includes mandatory support for the low-complexity SBC codec (not to be confused with Bluetooth's voice-signal codecs such as CVSDM), and supports optionally: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AAC, and ATRAC, and is extensible to support manufacturer-defined codecs, such as apt-X. Some Bluetooth stacks enforce the SCMS-T digital rights management (DRM) scheme. In these cases, it is impossible to connect certain A2DP headphones for high quality audio.

Mobile Linux ?
Got That:
Z1 Android Watch Phone, Huawei Honor 2, Nexus 7 (2013), MUCH G2.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1