Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Linuxslate.com Forums

<=== Back to the Linuxslate.com Homepage

Jul 17th, 2019, 12:04am
News: Welcome to the linuxslate.com forums. 16 Janruary 2015: Forum registration has been disabled due to recent advancements in bypassing captcha's and the resulting increase in spam on the forums. Registration will be re-enabled at a later date. In the meantime, if you need to register, or have relevant information, please email "john" at this domain, or request an account using the linuxslate.com Google+ Page: https://plus.google.com/+Linuxslate/

Pages: 1
Changing DPI + Loudspeaker volume safely on Z1 (Read 4826 times)
kfumble
Thinks a tablet is something you take for a headache

Linuxslate.com
Forums

Changing DPI + Loudspeaker volume safely on Z1
Oct 6th, 2012, 6:56pm

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forums and a new owner of the Z1 Android watchphone from Ibuygou.com and despite a few flaws, I'm really enjoying this phone.
I have already rooted the phone and upgraded to google play market.

Only 2 main gripes about the phone:

1. DPI is too small -  
Would like to change DPI to 160 but the only way I've searched is to somehow flash a clean rom someone had made that changes it.  I'm a newb to that stuff and I'm worried about bricking/boot looping my phone so wondering if anyone knows a safe foolproof way to change the DPI?
Does LCD Density Modder or DPI Changer work from Google play market?

2. The loudspeaker on the phone is ok, but when there is alot of environment noise, it gets really hard to hear the a conversation.
Is there a safe foolproof way to increasse the speakerphone volume?
I noticed there is an option in Engineering mode to change the setting from "15" but I'm worried that I might break the phone!

Hopefully some of you guys have had some experience on adjusting these!

Thanks in advance for your help!

IP Logged
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Re: Changing DPI + Loudspeaker volume safely on Z1
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2012, 10:32pm

If you've already rooted, you already taken the biggest risk.

** THERE IS NO REASON TO ROOT THIS DEVICE **

adb runs as root on this device out of the box.

Due to the small screen/keyboard, its much easier to do things from adb than from - say - root explorer anyway.

Leaving it un-rooted for daily use is much safer from both accidental and malicious corruption.

If I am wrong, and my watch is just a freak, or a previously rooted return, or something, please, somebody tell me, but I cannot get root from other than adb, so mine is not actually rooted.

My watch does not have busybox, Superuser.apk, Root Explorer, etc. But with adb running as root, and a little command line know-how, you do not need those.  

1.  DPI:

There is a fool proof way:  Reading Glasses   Smiley   $1.50, and you do not have to wait for shipping from China.  If you brick your watch, its $250 for a new one, and you have to wait.

Changing the DPI is pretty safe.  Like everything, you do have to be careful.  I'm not sure if an error in build.prop makes the phone un-bootable or not.   Just by habit, I am extremely careful when I edit any such fine, and I have never had a problem.  I've edited build.prop many dozens of times on many different devices, and I have not bricked one yet.

Same for changing stuff in engineering mode.  Be careful and deliberate -- make only one change at a time.

Mobile Linux ?
Got That:
Z1 Android Watch Phone, Huawei Honor 2, Nexus 7 (2013), MUCH G2.
WWW   IP Logged
kfumble
Thinks a tablet is something you take for a headache

Linuxslate.com
Forums

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2012, 2:33am

Yes, unfortunately I have rooted the phone Sad but I am very new to all this stuff.
I was just doing my best to follow the instructions on the site I purchased the phone:

http://www.ibuygou.com/p-z1_smart_android_2_2_watch_phone_gps_wifi_bluetooth-363 8-usd.html

1.For DPI, I prefer not to need reading glasses  Cool
I have searched on google that I need to edit my build.prop file  and change the line ro.sf.lcd_density from 120 to 160.
But there is no such line in my build.prop file!
Do I just add that line to the end of the file?  This is where I'm not sure what to do and am afraid my phone will brick.
I can't be the only one that doesn't have that line in the build.prop file, can I?

2.What do you recommend changing the value in Engineering mode for the loudspeaker value?
It is currently at 15.
Does a higher or lower number produce a louder sound?

IP Logged
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2012, 10:11pm

As I mentioned, I have not changed mine, but you are correct that there is no ro.sf.lcd_density line by default.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in, but as far as I know, you can add it.  I would put it at the end of the first section, where other ro.**** stuff is.  I also put comments (comments start with a '#') so that I know what I added, and what was in there originally, put I'm just like that, and yes, I know there is a term for that.

As far as the Eng mode settings, please reference the other thread -- AFAI remember, lower numbers are louder.

Mobile Linux ?
Got That:
Z1 Android Watch Phone, Huawei Honor 2, Nexus 7 (2013), MUCH G2.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1