Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Linuxslate.com Forums

<=== Back to the Linuxslate.com Homepage

Nov 20th, 2017, 1:55pm
News: Welcome to the linuxslate.com forums. 16 Janruary 2015: Forum registration has been disabled due to recent advancements in bypassing captcha's and the resulting increase in spam on the forums. Registration will be re-enabled at a later date. In the meantime, if you need to register, or have relevant information, please email "john" at this domain, or request an account using the linuxslate.com Google+ Page: https://plus.google.com/+Linuxslate/

Pages: 1
Using the Wouxun KG-UV9D(plus) Software on Linux (Read 687 times)
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Using the Wouxun KG-UV9D(plus) Software on Linux
Oct 12th, 2016, 9:07pm

I recently purchased a Wouxun KG-UV9D(plus) HT Ham Radio. So far it is a much better radio than the other popular brand of Chinese radio in both features and quality.

However, this radio is not supported by CHIRP, the Open Source radio programming software.
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

It is promised to be supported, however development seems to be going more slowly than the Chinese product development cycle, so it is likely that by the time it is supported, I will probably already have a newer radio.

At least for the short term, my best hope for being able to program this radio from other than the radio itself is running Wouxun's software under Wine.

Fortunately, this does seem like it will work, however, there is another problem. Apparently, the Wouxun KG-UV9D(plus) uses a different cable than the older models or Wouxun radios.

According to the CHIRP Cable Guide, Wouxun should use the same cables as Baofeng:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide

However, I made a cable that goes from my FTDI board to my Baofeng UV-5R.  It works fine with CHIRP and the Baofeng, but does not work with the Wouxun KG-UV9D(plus).

Note also that many vendors list separate, but identical looking cables for the KG-UV9D(plus) and the other Wouxun radios.

If anyone can confirm similar or different cables, and/or provide the pin-out for the KG-UV9D(plus), it would be much appreciated.

Other than that, getting the Wouxun KG-UV9D(plus) programming software running under Linux is pretty straight-forward.

The following assumes:
  • Recent Linux Distribution, for which a Recent WINE is available and installed.
  • A Wouxun KG-UV9D(plus)
  • An FTDI board that is supported under Linux (most common ones)
  • The correct cable to go from the FTDI to the Radio.

Steps:

1.  Set up the serial device corresponding to the FTDI. It is assumed the FTDI shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0. This is done one of 2 ways:
1a.  (Temporary) - Give your self permissions to the serial device:

sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0

1b.  (Permanent) - add yourself to the dialout group:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout

Log out, and log back in again.

2.  Link your FTDI (or cable) serial port to a DOS Device:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

3.  Use winetricks to install fonts and some needed DLL's:

winetricks corefonts
winetricks mfc42
winetricks msvcirt

4. Make a symlink to your Wine C: Drive (Optional, but it makes using wine easier)
ln -s /home/john/.wine Wine_C_Drive

5. Download the Wouxun KG-UV9D(Plus) software from:
http://www.wouxun.com/resource.aspx

6. Extract the Wouxun Programming software:
  - Locate UV9DP_SEN.rar in your Downloads folder (or where ever you downloaded it to).
  - Right click on it, and select "Extract Here"
  - Locate KG-UV9D(Plus) setup.exe in the same folder.

7. Run the Windows Installer.  This should work by just double clicking KG-UV9D(Plus) setup.exe, if wine and the wine program loader is installed properly.

8.  Navigate to the installed Windows Application
 -- Double click the link you created in step 4.
 -- You should see a KG-UV9D(Plus) directory inside either the Program Files or Program Files (x86) Folders.
 -- Double click KG-UV9D(Plus).exe to launch the Wouxun application.

Troubleshooting

If it does not work, try running KG-UV9D(Plus).exe from the command line.  For example:
wine .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/KG-UV9D\(Plus\)/KG-UV9D\(Plus\).exe
(Note escapes on the "()" characters.)
Note any error messages.  If they indicate a missing DLL, try installing it using winetricks as we did in step 3.

If you are missing text (fonts) execute it from within the directory -- e.g.:
cd ~/.wine/drive_c$ cd Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/KG-UV9D\(Plus\)/
wine KG-UV9D\(Plus\)

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2016, 4:20pm by Administrator »  

Mobile Linux ?
Got That:
Z1 Android Watch Phone, Huawei Honor 2, Nexus 7 (2013), MUCH G2.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1