Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Linuxslate.com Forums

<=== Back to the Linuxslate.com Homepage

Newest Forum Posts

Oct 25th, 2021, 12:14pm
News: Welcome to the linuxslate.com forums. May 2020: Forum registration has been disabled due to recent advancements in bypassing captcha's and the resulting increase in spam on the forums. Registration may be re-enabled at a later date. In the meantime, if you would like to register, please email "john" at this domain, and I will manually create an account for you. Registration is for legitimate and relevant discussion only. Misused accounts will be deleted without warning.

Pages: 1
Rowe/AMI R-4359 beautification project (Read 1376 times)
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Rowe/AMI R-4359 beautification project
Feb 8th, 2021, 8:36pm

I'm building Tube Amps, and I can't stop!

In addition to building a small amplifier based around Russian military tubes and a Chinese SMPS, I have been accumulating parts to build a EH 7591a based amplifier.  The Output transformers will come from a Rowe/AMI R-4359 amp chassis that came from a jukebox.  The original amp was based on 7868 tubes.  7591's and 7868's are electrically very similar, just in a different basing and envelope, so I also plan to stick with the R-4359 schematic fairly closely.

Output Transformers, and the basic circuit design of each channel is where the similarities to the Jukebox Amp will end.

The amplifier will be built in a rack-mount chassis (which is also surplus).  I am not using the Power Transformer, 5AUG Rectifier tube or any of the original power supply circuitry.  Instead, the needed voltages for the tubes will come from a combination of Switch Mode Power Supplies, as I have done for my other projects.  A 20Amp rated SMPS will provide 12VDC from a 100-240V input.  The 12VDC (at lots of Amps) will power a significantly modified Chinese Inverter module along with a rectifier, filter, and feedback system of my own design.  This will provide approximately 380VDC to the plates of the EH 7591a's.  Other modular SMPS's will provide the ~6.3V needed for the 7591's heaters, and a +/- output for the tube biasing circuit.

It will also contain a high performance DAC to allow USB Audio, as well as Optical and Coaxial SPDIF inputs.  Of course there will be straight analog inputs, too.  A digital, audio grade relay board will allow push-button switching between the digital inputs and 3 analog inputs.

It will also have a VFD Spectrum display on the front panel.

Yes, it's an ambitious project, and it has to wait for other projects ahead of it, but in the meantime, here is a rendering so that you can at least see some artwork:

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2021, 1:59pm by Administrator »  

Mobile Linux ?
Got That!
WWW   IP Logged
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Re: Rowe/AMI R-4359 beautification project
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2021, 10:14pm

I know it's been a while since I posted an update on this project.

I'm not dead, and neither is the project, although work has certainly slowed.

Here's the latest render:

What's Changed?

• Using a Soviet Aerospace Toggle switch as the power switch.
  • Separate power light.  The Soviet switch has a glow light in it, but not a power light.  Amber is shown, but it will actually be blue, as on the other amps I've built.
  • More accurate measurements/layout.
  • More accurate rendering color (I've always planned for it to be black.)

A big change (and thus reason excuse for the delay) is that I have decided not to use the thin steel that was previously the top cover of the chassis. I have instead purchased a nice thick piece of aluminum from Skycraft in Orlando, and that will serve as the main chassis for this build.

If one visualizes a typical inverted 'U' shaped top cover, one may realize that if this is replaced with a flat aluminum plate, then the resulting amp will have -- shall we say -- really good ventilation on the sides -- in other words, the sides would be missing.  While I always attempt to provide good cooling for my projects, they sort of need to have sides.

So basically, I don't have a solution at the moment.  I am considering nicely finished wood sides, but the thickness of wood may prevent the unit from actually being put in a rack.  In reality, it is unlikely that I (or anyone else) would try to but something with tubes sticking out from the top in a rack,   but as long as sufficient overhead space and ventilation is provided, there is no reason it wouldn't work.  Even with wood sides, there should be enough tolerance to allow it to fit in a rack, but of course scratching the wood would be a risk.

The plan as of right now is to go with the wood sides.  While it may not really make sense, both wood sides, and the rack-mount ears and handles look nice separately, so they should also look good together.

Current Status:

• The challenging cutouts for the displays, and other drilling of the the front panel is complete less painting.
  • Similarly, cutting and drilling of the rear panel is complete less cutting some of the un-used real-estate, which will be covered with perforated ventilation areas.  Similarly, painting of the entire bottom and rear of the chassis is still needed.
  • The drill plan for the chassis top is nearly complete
  • All rear panel connectors are temporarily installed (fit check).  This includes digital and analog inputs, and the speaker terminals.

Next Steps:

• Cut the top plate from the purchased piece of aluminum. Using the basic tools I have getting the size and straightness needed is somewhat of a concern.
  • Once the top plate is cut and fits correctly, It will be drilled for the tube sockets, wiring feed throughs, and other components.
  • Remaining back panel cutouts.
  • Painting.

Once these steps are done, the actual building (component installation and wiring) can begin.

As mentioned, it is going slowly, and for now, it is not going to get much faster.  There are other projects and activities that will slow work on this project.  Check for updates on this and the other projects here on all of the Linuxslate.com "Builds and Projects" forums.

(Relevant and Polite) comments and suggestions are always welcome, so if you would like to join the conversation register as indicated at the top of the page.

Mobile Linux ?
Got That!
WWW   IP Logged
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2021, 1:05pm

Just a minor status update.

I have cut the top panel (but not started drilling as of yet).

I have also decided to use wood side panels.  I asked my wife to bring me some thin finishing wood from Lowe's, and she brought home some plywood where the inside layers are wood paste (particle board).  It turns out that the piece of plywood that was used for shipping me the original Rowe/AMI chassis was actually better quality plywood.  It is also the same thickness.

So I managed to cut 2 decent pieces from the shipping plywood.  I have sanded, stained, and polyurethane'd them, and they came out pretty nice looking.  There should be no problem fitting the unit in a standard rack with the thin plywood sides.  Additional wood work may be necessary to make the rack mount ears fit properly.

The next step is to buy a threaded insert rivet tool and do a little structural engineering so that the chassis is structurally sound enough to be supported by the ears in the event that it is actually installed in a rack.

Mobile Linux ?
Got That!
WWW   IP Logged
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2021, 12:55pm

So work is proceeding only very occasionally on this project.

While attempting to assemble the entire case (including the rack mount "ears") I ran into difficulty with the wooden sides.

I ended up cutting the sides from the original "lid" or cover, and using them as separate pieces.  The also required some additional cutting of the new top aluminum plate, but I now have the basic chassis assembled as it will be.

Next step is to get serious about drilling the top plate.  I have a little more finalizing of the top plate "drill plan", and then it will go under the drill press.

I would still much rather anodize than paint the top plate, but that is not a project that I feel like tackling myself, and I don't know of anyone locally that will do it, so it will probably either go to the local powder coater, or just get spray painted.

Mobile Linux ?
Got That!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1